-->

Sunday 15 April 2012

Boot Odyssey

So I have been on the holy quest for boots since the fall.  It started with wanting some good quality rain boots as i live in the rainiest part of Canada. Our town slogan is "100 days of sun"  That leaves lots of room for 265 days of rain.  And rain it does.

After much angsting over hunter boots which are ever so pretty but since production moving to China, have become ever so not worth the money, I settled on a pair of comfortable Baffins which the second pair has been holding up quite well.

Okay these are not the ones I bought, but i though they were super funny.  They will also keep your feet warm and dry in the arctic or something.  I am holding the pamphlet which described all the things these boots would survive.

My Baffins are small and black.

My issues are a large calf size.  I have a 15" calf and apparently the majority of boots are made for people with a 13-14". The next step up is wide calf boots which aside form being very expensive also start at a 17" calf.  Now that is much too big.  I don't want them flopping around either.  So as always I am in this weird grey area where no one makes boots that fit me. Cue Violins.

My husband is getting rather sick of hearing about boots.

Next obsession.  Did I mention i am a little obsessive?  I came upon the wonder of the Frye boot.  They are also freakishly expensive despite moving most of their production to China and using poor quality leather.  (Can you see a trend here?) So I decided that i would buy a vintage pair of Frye boots from ebay or etsy which were from the 70's when they are made in the US and super good quality.

My quest begins.

Yet again my calf size stumps me.  WTF world?  Did people on the seventies only have skinny calves.  No fair!  After much searching and sniffling I finally came upon a pair of Fryes that are from the early eighties.  That will do, Fryes were still made int he US and it has a (dum dum dum......15.5" calf!!!! Wooo.

Want to see my babies? Pricy i know but they should last forever!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/97129892/reserved-for-kastra70s-frye-campus-boots

So I bought them.  Now I must wait.  They are coming from the states so I am guessing they will arrive just before the end of April.  I sure hope they fit. I did negotiate a return policy though just in case they don't work out.  I really want to wear them to our office party for the end of Tax season.  I have the cutest yellow 1950's dress I also bought from etsy which I am hoping to pair it with.

Hazaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!