-->

Tuesday 25 September 2012

Look at my Buttonhole!

Yes, it is true.  I still have not finished the pink blouse.  I have been sissying out on that for months.  On Sunday I decided I was going to do something sewing-wise everyday this week.  Yesterday's goal was to finally master the buttonhole.

I had tried to create a button hole a while ago on regular fabric but it had ended...badly.  My zig-zag stitch was all puckered up, my fabric was bunchy and it just looked bad.  Not something I wanted to put on my blouse.

I figured I would try again and use a fabric combination which was as similar to my blouse button placket as possible.  So I fused some interfacing to my blouse fabric and doubled it over and away I went.  Hello internet instructions.

The right hand button is try number 1. I followed an example on "About.com" and was not very pleased.  It just looks messy although the interfacing and me fussing with the tension has helped with the zig zag stitch.

Not completely happy I searched the internet some more and came upon Sewing 101 's instruction using a button hole foot.

'Hey' I think. 'Don't I have something that looks like that in my sewing box?'

After much digging and grumbling and wondering if I had just imagined it, I came across this darling.

This lovely foot is my savior.  Suddenly buttonholes are all happy and straight and pretty (well mostly. I still have to practice).  The button hole foot created the button hole on the left. Not too bad.  It was really easy to use too.  

Even a button will fit through it.
So this weekend I WILL finish my blouse and I WILL wear it on Monday!

*Happy dance*







No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!