-->

Sunday 14 October 2012

Pink Blouse is finally complete

This post is two weeks late, but here are pictures of the finished pink blouse.

I am really happy with how it came out considering it started out as a white BC Ferries bed sheet which I bought at the thrift store for $.50.

I dyed it pink,

And made a blouse out of it.
Even the buttons are recycled as I got them from Grandma's button box.  So all I bought new for the blouse was the interfacing which was stolen from the leftovers from another project and a couple spools of thread which Zellers conveniently supplied on sale.  Finding a thread that generally matched this colour was a surprise indeed.  So overall this blouse is about the cheapest thing in my wardrobe.  Nice.  I am now thinking of ways I might be able to refashion clothing and other items into things I can wear.

As the bed sheet was very well worn I can at least be sure that it is not going to shrink in the wash or anything.  Also, it is a polycotton blend which gave the dye job a very interesting pattern and means that it is not going to wrinkle either.  I hate ironing so this is great.

Overall I am really pleased with the pattern and I am definitely going to make a couple more blouses out of the actual cotton fabric I bought a while ago to use with this pattern.  This pink was really just meant to be a wearable muslin but I like it so much it has immediately gone into rotation with my other work outfits.  It also looks great under a vest.

I think the only change I will make next time is I might add 1/2" to the sleeve cuffs so they are a little looser and maybe make the puffed sleeves look a little less like a leg o'mutton sleeve from the 1890's.

I hope the next blouse will not take as long as this one did.  I think I started it before I got a job in Prince Rupert which was about 2 1/2 years ago.  Yes it spent a lot of time as a UFO, but mainly because button holes scared me.  Now that I am button hole competent I am less concerned about making the shirt dress pattern I have which is pretty sweet.

Random Rupert:

Because I thought the clouds/ fog looked pretty that morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!