-->

Thursday 25 October 2012

Invisible zippers

Burda pattern
The burda skirt pattern (left) which I moaned about in a previous post is this one.  I am making it in a wine coloured corduroy which I bought from the thrift store for a couple bucks.

The burda skirt has introduced me to a new skill.  Installing an invisible zipper.  Somehow I have avoided invisible zippers up to this point, but after hearing good things about installing one I figured it was time to try it out.

Conveniently I found this one at the thrift store new in package.  Pretty cool.  It has instructions inside on how to install the zipper but they were really confusing.  Lucky the internet saved me yet again. This invisible zipper tutorial from the Colette pattern site was really helpful as it has step by step directions with pictures. When it comes to sewing I find pictures to be really helpful.

Yet again I am amazed by the coolness of sewing machine feet.  One thing I got from my grandma was an envelope full of what looked like small lego pieces.  Turns out these pieces actually constitute an invisible zipper foot and shank attachment.  Pretty neat.

After a bit of fussing I finally figured out which shank piece fit my machine and it was onto figuring out the zipper.  Turns out sewing in an invisible zipper is kind of complicated.  with the Colette site's help though I was able to finally get the zipper in with only a small amount of frustration.  I think it worked pretty well.  Invisible?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!