-->

Wednesday 2 May 2012

The Cardigan (Why finish a UFO when you can start a new one!)

After a long hiatus, I have begun knitting again.  For quite a while nothing inspired me and everything seemed like too much work.  Don't even talk to me about my UFO's on that front. :)

But when I saw this cardigan, I thought it was so pretty.  If you want to make it, pattern is available HERE.

So I have begun and it is going pretty well.  The pattern is pretty simple as the cable only turns in one direction so it is a good knit for watching TV.

Look how much I have done!

See the pretty cable?

I will probably have to get some new DPNs for when I get to the sleeves.  The construction of this sweater is different from any raglan sleeve I have seen before.  This one you work your way up to the top of the armpit, cast on extra stitches for the arm holes and put these stitches on a holder, and finish the rest of the neckline.  Then you pick up the stitches on holders and knit down to the cuff on the sleeve.  Weird.

And now for a Random Rupert moment:


As some of you know, we were thinking of buying a house in Prince Rupert last year.  This is one of the many reasons we decided to hold off on our purchase.
Can you see the shared gutter?


Much of Prince Rupert was built during the wars and as a result of such a massive boom in population (workers and soldiers) the houses were built very very close together and rather haphazardly placed in some areas.  

Hugh and I want some room on our property and unfortunately Prince Rupert is lacking in this.  It is an island with a mountain in the middle and everyone has settled on the north west side as it is close to the ocean and the flattest of the island.

The houses are so close together that I think it is a fire hazard.  Also the lots here are super small and strangely shaped. The average lot is a 25' by 100'.  This obviously creates some very long and narrow homes.  It is kind of like looking at a trailer park. :P

Anyway, we decided to hold back on becoming a home owner for the moment although the fact you can get a decent looking house here for $150,000 is pretty awesome and terribly tempting.

Then again, if we move to PEI...

1 comment:

  1. Another cute pattern. May have to try that out for myself at some point. I hope it continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!