-->

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Off and Away

So this weekend there will be no sewing.  I have to go away for a family matter.

Instead I thought I would show off one of the sweaters I knitted from a vintage pattern.

I knitted this sweater from a pattern I was given by my Grandma.  She was the one who also taught me to knit when I was 8 or so.  I still cherish the first knitting needles she gave to me.  I remember her telling me to take care of them as you could not get those needles anymore.  I took that to heart and they are still with me now.


This is the pattern. It is from a book called "Harmony in Handknits" by Beehive.  It is full of amazing knitted shirts and dresses.

I love the lace work on this


Photographer husbands should not talk to the model for fear of strange expressions. :)

It knitted up pretty well.  I made a couple changes like I knitted it on the round rather than seaming the sides as it was already going to take forever to knit.  It has not changed the structure of the sweater much.  I do wish I was better at seaming.  The set in sleeves were very difficult to sew in as the knitted fabric was so light it bunched up a lot.  As a result the seaming on the sleeves is not as smooth as I would have liked.  Overall it is really comfortable but as it is a short sweater I really need to sew some more high waisted skirts to go with it.

I want to knit this one next.


Last weekend I was able to work on my blouse a bit.  I was able to sew the bodice part together and I finally got the pin tucks straight.  Funny enough I did not notice until after that I actually did the tucks backwards.  I have pleats rather than pin-tucks.  The pin-tucks on the other side look so ugly though I decided not to worry about it.  Pleats and seaming it is.  I will try and get it right the next time I sew this pattern.  If it works out I have three colours of fabric to make it in.  Black, cream and purple.  I am definitely glad I am making this wearable muslin version first!  I am making all my mistakes now.  I have the collar done too and pinned to the shirt but I have not sewn it on yet. I am not super excited about the shape of the collar for this pattern.  I think I will reshape it into a proper peter pan collar for subsequent blouses.





And here I am picking out my first really ugly pin-tucks.  They were not straight at all! But do notice the sun.  Yes, it was sunny in Prince Rupert on Saturday.  See proof!

Today I went to the thrift store and totally scored.  I was able to get my hands on 16 vintage patterns some from the 1950s!  It was like shopping on Etsy except the patterns were only 25 cents apiece! I will need to research grading patterns, but I am so looking forward to the challenge. Yeah living in a small town.  Less competition for awesome finds.

Random Rupert! 

Whenever I look out at the water I am always amazed at how pretty it is here.  This picture was taken at Rotary park which is right down on the water on the other side of the train tracks.  You can actually walk right next to the tracks for about a half kilometer.  People are always down there walking their dogs, biking and other things.


This is a pretty typical view of the water here.

Then some days you get to see strange things like this:



It was so far away that I had to take a picture and zoom it to see what it actually was.  Yes, I do believe that is a hotel on the move.  I have no idea where it came from or where it was going, but it was sure funny to watch it bob out there in the straight.

Apparently a lot of houses were barged up to Prince Rupert from Vancouver back when Prince Rupert was just starting out.  One of these houses is actually for sale right now.  It is very run down though.  It used to be the house of the first barrister in Prince Rupert.  Now it is a rooming house. It is a huge house.  Must cost a mint to heat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafting in Progress!
Gray Cardigan
20% done!
Bubblegum Blouse
100% done!
Cranberry Skirt
70% done!